Istanbul’s geographical and historical importance
Istanbul is one of the largest cities in Turkey, and ranks seventh in the world in population. It has an estimated population of 15 million. Istanbul is also the touristic, cultural, cultural and economic capital of the Republic of Turkey
Istanbul is located in northwestern Turkey along the Marmara region and contains a variety of lands that extend to the Asian and European continents
Istanbul is called by many names such as:
(Astana – Byzantium – Islampol – Constantinople – the city of minarets – the city of the seven hills)
ستتعرف في هذا المقال على :
The history of Istanbul and the importance of its geographical location
- Istanbul’s location on the Bosphorus which includes the natural harbor known as the Golden Horn (Turkish: Haliç or Altın Boynuz) is located in the northwest. The city extends along the European side of the Bosphorus, also known as “Thrace”, and the Asian side or “Anatolia,
- The city has a sense of holiness around it, because it was very important to its residents and the people of neighboring countries from an ancient Christian religious point of view. The city played an important role for Christians after the Byzantine Empire converted to Christianity before it became the capital of the Ottoman Empire in 1516.
- In 2010, Istanbul was chosen as the Common Capital of European Culture, and in 1985 it was recognized by UNESCO as a heritage site.
Facts and figures about the city of Istanbul
- The city is divided into 40 municipalities, of which 27 constitute the city center. All these municipalities are known as Greater Istanbul.
|Total area of the city||5461 km2|
|land area||5343 km2|
|Central city area||1830 km2|
- In economic terms, Istanbul is the largest industrial center in Turkey, and Istanbul gets the highest rating in growth rates in Turkey
|Industrial Production Ratio||38%|
- This is a picture of the city of Istanbul showing the names of the areas in Istanbul in Arabic and their distribution on the map:
- Managing Istanbul, a city of gigantic size, is a very difficult challenge. To make things easier, they were divided into smaller municipalities. The Metropolitan Municipality of Istanbul is the headquarters of these municipalities and supervises their operations.
The Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
|Hutchley Effler||Princesses Islands|
|Bayram Pasha||Atta famous|
|Ghazi Osman Pasha||Tuzla|
The Arab community in Istanbul
Istanbul is currently considered a city that contains a large Arab community, because it is an economic city that attracts many investors and business owners, which Istanbul gives them a distinguished geographical location. The Syrian community tops the list of Arab nationalities in Istanbul
“In the latest statistics of the Turkish Economic Policy Research Center,
the statistics showed that the number of Syrian companies established in Turkey during the past year 2018 increased by 85%, which is equivalent to 11.8% of the total number of foreign companies established in Turkey. The Turkish Endowment indicated in its report that The number of Syrian companies in Turkey during last September of 2018 amounted to 163 companies, and the total capital of the Syrian companies partnering with Turkish companies amounted to (28.9 million Turkish liras), equivalent to (5.3 million dollars) during the aforementioned period. The Turkish Endowment report added that most of The Syrian companies that were established in Turkey last September were in the wholesale trade sector, and they constituted 16.1% of the total foreign joint companies